Karachi (Staff Report): Former Information Minister Sharjeel Memon today (Thursday) appeared before National Accountability Bureau (NAB) court for the hearing of a corruption petition of PKR 5 billion against him.

The NAB has filed a reference against Memon and 10 others in an accountability court for alleged corruption of around PKR 5 billion in the Department of Information Sindh.

The former minister appeared in court for the first time in the reference case, despite a back-related ailment which hindered his movement, his lawyer said.

He was seen walking to the court with assistance from his team. His lawyer told the media that Memon was suffering from a back-related ailment, for the treatment of which he had also travelled overseas.

Memon avoided speaking to the media about his detention.

The court adjourned the hearing until May 6.

The PPP leader was granted an interim bail by the Sindh High Court last month.

The former information minister was taken into custody from Islamabad airport by NAB personnel immediately after he landed in the country after two years. Memon had been living in a self-imposed exile for more than two years in Dubai and London.

Memon had arrived from Dubai, accompanied by Sindh ministers Mukesh Chawla, Imdad Pitafi, Fayyaz Ali Butt and Nawab Taimur Talpur.