Berlin (Reuters): After initial investigations German police has confirmed the release of a Pakistani held over suspicions of involvement in lorry tragedy in Christmas market that took 12 lives on Monday night.

The prosecutors of German uttered that the Pakistani named Naveed B who was arrested after the truck attack has been released because of insufficient evidence.

German prosecutor’s office said the inquiry “did not yield any urgent suspicion” against the 23-year-old man who according to authorities was part of a possible terror attack.

According to Tuesday’s police hearing the suspect denied all liability for Monday’s tragedy.

Finally the release of Pakistani cleared the air regarding his involvement in carnage besides raising eyebrows of authorities that the original culprit was still at large.

Before, one of the German newspapers Die Welt and Der Tagesspiegel wrongly reported that Naveed B was behind the truck attack that smashed into wooden huts serving mulled wine and sausages on Monday evening. Forty-five people were injured, 30 severely.

Daesh claimed responsibility the attack, saying the perpetrator was a "soldier" of the militant group.

According to the news agency, "He executed the operation in response to calls to target nationals of the coalition countries."

However Germany's interior minister Thomas de Maizière said that despite the claim, investigators were following various leads.

Minister Thomas told, "We just heard about the supposed claim of responsibility by this so-called Islamic State (IS) that is in fact a gang of terrorists, there are several leads that investigators are following now."

Germany’s Chief Federal Prosecutor's Office said in a statement it had been unable to prove that the suspect had been in the cabin of the truck at the time of the attack and said he had denied any involvement.

Before, German newspaper quoted an unnamed police chief as saying: "We have the wrong man. And therefore a new situation. The true perpetrator is still armed, at large and can cause fresh damage."

Minister Thomas argued, "That's why it is true that one cannot rule out that the perpetrator is still at large."

Thomas considered that there was no doubt the Berlin incident had been an attack but the motive remained unclear.

Moreover he said it was not yet known how many foreigners were among the victims of the attack but no children had been among the dead.

The arrest of the 23-year-old Pakistani had led German politicians and beyond to demand a crackdown on immigration, but Chancellor Angela Merkel urged concerns.

Chancellor Angela told reporters earlier on Tuesday, "There is much we still do not know with sufficient certainty but we must, as things stand now, assume it was a terrorist attack."

She said, "I know it would be especially hard for us all to bear if it were confirmed that the person who committed this act was someone who sought protection and asylum."