Govt sends letter to UK authorities seeking Nawaz Sharif's deportation

Govt sends letter to UK authorities seeking Nawaz Sharif's deportation

Islamabad (Web Desk): The federal government has written a letter to the British authorities for the deportation of former premier Nawaz Sharif who is in London for medical treatment.


According to details, the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) government has pleaded in the letter that the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) supremo is a convicted criminal, who had been sent to London for medical treatment but he was yet to be admitted to a hospital and had also failed to submit his medical report to the Punjab government and courts.

Therefore, the British government must ensure Nawaz Sharif’s swift return to Pakistan so he can complete his sentence announced by an accountability court in Al Azizia reference last year, it maintained.

The decision to move the UK government was taken after the federal government rejected his request to allow a further extension in his bail on medical grounds.

Briefing the media on Tuesday about the cabinet meeting held earlier, Special Assistant to the Prime Minister (SAPM) on Information and Broadcasting Dr Firdous Ashiq Awan also confirmed that the letter to bring a foreigner back home has been sent, referring to the former PM who was allowed by the Islamabad High Court (IHC) to go abroad for medical treatment last year.

Reacting to the news, PML-N President Shehbaz Sharif said that under the law, the government did not possess the authority to write such a letter.

“The government’s haste illustrates its criminal intent”, Shehbaz said in a statement released on Tuesday.

“Attempts to stop Nawaz’s treatment are equivalent to murdering him," The PML-N president said, adding that the government was playing with his brother's health to avert public backlash.

“Imran Khan is acting on personal enmity and political vengeance. Nawaz went abroad for medical treatment after fulfilling all legal requirements," he added.

On February 25, the Punjab government had rejected the application of former premier Nawaz Sharif for extension in bail on medical grounds.

Addressing a news conference in Lahore, Punjab Law Minister Raja Basharat had stated that the PML-N supremo has failed to provide the required medical reports. He added that the extension in bail period could not be granted on medical and legal grounds.

The minister said since his departure for medical treatment, during the last 16 weeks, Nawaz Sharif did not admitted to any hospital of London. He said medical board held several meetings and examined the medical reports of Nawaz Sharif which were provided before departure.

Raja Basharat said after rejection of extension, the bail granted to the former Prime Minister will ultimately be cancelled.

On November 19, 2019, Nawaz Sharif reached London for medical treatment.

The interior ministry on November 18 gave permission to Nawaz Sharif to travel abroad for medical treatment in accordance with the verdict of the Lahore High Court (LHC), while keeping his name on the Exit Control List (ECL).

The ministry issued a memorandum after receiving the court order.

In its notification, the ministry reproduced the undertakings provided by Shehbaz Sharif and Nawaz to the court in which the terms of their travel and return have been laid out.

On November 16, the LHC allowed Nawaz Sharif to travel abroad for four weeks for medical treatment, saying the duration could be extended upon doctors' recommendation.

On December 23, the former premier sought an extension in his stay abroad on the expiry of the four-week period granted by the LHC.

Following his request, the Punjab government constituted a four-member committee to decide on it and sought fresh medical reports to make an "informed decision".

A picture of Nawaz Sharif at a London restaurant along with some members of his family had surfaced on social media, raising questions about the condition of the former premier's health.

On January 15, the Punjab government had rejected Nawaz's medical reports which had been submitted on December 23.

On January 30, the Punjab government once again asked Nawaz to submit fresh medical reports so that a decision on his request seeking more time abroad could be made.