Karachi (Web Desk): Pakistan's first patient of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) was discharged from hospital on Saturday after complete recovery from the infection.
According to details, the patient who was the first coronavirus patient from Karachi and Pakistan, was sent home after fully recovering from the virus.
The young man believed to have contracted the virus during his visit to the Iranian holy city of Qum, where he had travelled to as part of a group of 28 pilgrims.
On February 26, He was shifted to the isolation ward of a private hospital in Karachi after being tested positive for coronavirus.
His family members were also placed in quarantine but were discharged after their tests came out negative.
During the 10 days of treatment, the patient had been tested three times with the last one coming out negative on Friday morning, said Sindh government officials.
Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah, who was informed about the development in a meeting of coronavirus task force in Karachi, congratulated family of the COVID-19 patient and called it a great victory.
On Thursday, Pakistan confirmed appearance of sixth case of the pandemic after a 69-year-old person in Karachi was diagnosed with the disease.
Special Assistant to the Prime Minister (SAPM) on Health Dr Zafar Mirza had confirmed the report in a tweet.
The SAPM said that the patient "is in clinically stable condition in Sindh and is being well taken care of."
Last week, two cases of novel coronavirus were reported from Karachi, two from federal areas and one from Islamabad, bringing the total number of cases in Pakistan to five.
As a precautionary measure, the Sindh government had directed all schools, colleges, universities, tuition centres and other educational institutions to remain closed till March 13.
Most of the cases reported so far in Pakistan have a history of travel to Iran where at least 124 people have died from the virus including senior government functionaries with over 4,747 people infected.
The novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) broke out in the central Chinese province of Hubei in December.
The mysterious disease has triggered panic around the globe after it killed more than 3,400 people in more than 90 countries (mostly in China) and affected more than 100,000 around the world.