Riyadh (Web Desk): The government of Saudi Arabia has decided to increase the capacity of pilgrims from inside and outside the country to one million for Hajj 2022.
According to Ministry of Hajj and Umrah, the annual pilgrimage would only be allowed for people who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and are under the age of 65.
Ministry of Hajj and Umrah:
“Labbaik Allahumma Labbaik ????
We’re honored to welcome one million pilgrims in Hajj 2022” pic.twitter.com/AGowk6VZYA— Haramain Sharifain (@hsharifain) April 9, 2022
It further said that the intending pilgrims from abroad will also have to submit a negative PCR test for COVID-19, using a sample taken within 72 hours before departure to Saudi Arabia.
The ministry said that Saudi Arabia is also aiming to safeguard the milestones it achieved in the healthcare sector as it grappled with the COVID-19 pandemic.
During last two years, the number of pilgrims was reduced by the kingdom to curb the spread of novel coronavirus.
Last year, nearly 59,000 pilgrims were allowed to perform Hajj.