PM Shehbaz orders probe into mob lynching in Nankana Sahib 

PM Shehbaz orders probe into mob lynching in Nankana Sahib 

Islamabad (Web Desk/ Agencies): Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Saturday took notice of an extra-judicial killing of a person in the jurisdiction of Warburton  police station in Nankana Sahib district.

According to a press release by the PM Office media wing, the premier also directed an investigation into the incident, the  said in a press release.

PM Shehbaz said that rule of law should be ensured and no one should be allowed to influence the law.

He further questioned as to why the relevant police force failed to prevent the mob from lynching a man in Nankana Sahib?

"Those tasked to maintain law and order should give priority to this responsibility, PM Shehbaz emphasized.

Caretaker chief minister of Punjab Mohsin Naqvi has also sought a report from the IG on the incident, directing an investigation from every aspect.

He directed that legal action be taken against those who take the law into their own hands.

Earlier, Taking notice of the incident, Punjab Inspector-General (IG) Dr Usman Anwar suspended the SHO Warburton Feroze Bhatti and Nankana Sahib Circle Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Nawaz Waraq for their failure in preventing the situation from turning violent.

In a statement on Twitter, the Punjab police said that strict departmental and legal action will be taken against those responsible for the incident and the perpetrators of negligence.


Meanwhile, Pakistan Ulema Council (PUC) Chairman Tahir Mehmood Ashrafi condemned the incident, saying it was regrettable the way the charged mob attacked the blasphemy accused.


“Inhuman torture and killing the person, accused of blaspheming the Holy Quran in Nankana Sahib and attacking at the police station is regrettable and condemnable. — Pakistan Ulema Council, ” Hafiz Tahir Mehmood Asharfi wrote on Twitter.

According to media reports, a 35-year-old man arrested over blasphemy allegations was lynched in Nankana Sahib district on Saturday after a mob broke into the police station.