Islamabad (Web Desk): The New Zealand cricket team on Friday abandoned tour of Pakistan amid security concerns.
“Earlier today, New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series,” , the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said in statement issued on Friday.
“Pakistan Cricket Board and Pakistan Government made foolproof security arrangements for all visiting teams. We have assured the New Zealand Cricket of the same,” the statement added. “The Pakistan Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team,” read the statement.
“The security officials with the New Zealand team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the Pakistan Government throughout their stay here,” the stamen said.
“PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last minute withdrawal,” it read.
Last week, the New Zealand cricket team reached Pakistan for the first time in 18 years to play three One-day Internationals and five Twenty20 Internationals.