Islamabad (Web Desk): The nationwide number of confirmed coronavirus cases reached 297 on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, the Gilgit-Baltistan government has denied the report Pakistan’s first death due to coronavirus in the arera.
Earlier, the first death from coronavirus was reported in Pakistan’s Gilgit-Baltistan (GB).
Confirming the report, GB government spokesperson Faizullah Faraq had said that the deceased was a 90-year-old man.
The COVID-19 patient was a resident of Chilas and had been under treatment at Combined Military Hospital (CMH) Gilgit for the past four days.
The spokesman added that the man had no travel history, indicating that it was a case of secondary transmission.
The nationwide tally of COVID-19 cases rose to 297 on Wednesday evening with most of them in Sindh.
The province-wide number of cases included 208 from Sindh, 33 from Punjab, 19 from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, 16 from Balochistan, 7 from Islamabad Capital Territory, 13 from Gilgit-Baltistan and 1 from Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK).
Globally, 164 countries have been affected, more than 8,200 people have died and more than 200,000 infected by the disease as it spreads rapidly to new territories.
The epicentre of the outbreak has now shifted to Europe, which is recording a rapid rise in new cases every day.
Meanwhile, Punjab Chief Minister (CM) Usman Buzdar announced that the provincial government has decided to bar tourists from visiting Murree as part of measures to prevent the novel coronavirus from spreading.
He said that the restaurants, hotels and shopping malls will be closed by 10pm every day whereas, factories, mills, grocery stores etc. will remain open.
The Punjab CM added that only "important, skeleton staff" will be on duty in the Secretariat and government offices.