Washington (Web Desk): US Secretary of Defense Mark Esper has confirmed the death of Hamza Bin Laden, son and designated heir of Al-Qaeda founder Osama bin Laden.
In an interview with Fox News, Esper said it was ‘his understanding’ when asked if Hamza bin Laden was dead.
“I don’t have the details on that. And if I did I’m not sure how much I could share with you,” he added.
Earlier in August, US media had reported that bin Laden was killed during the last two years in an operation that involved the United States, citing US intelligence officials.
However, President Donald Trump and other senior officials have refused to confirm or deny it publicly.
“I don’t want to comment on it,” Trump had told reporters when asked after media reports.
WANTED. Up to $1 million for information on Hamza bin Laden, an emerging al-Qa'ida leader. Hamza is son of Usama bin Laden and has threatened attacks against the United States and allies. Relocation possible. Submit a tip, get paid. https://t.co/LtBVhsrwTc #RFJ pic.twitter.com/gmx5hkoSzQ— Rewards for Justice (@Rewards4Justice) February 28, 2019
The State Department had also announced a reward worth $1 million for information leading to his location in any country.