Lahore (Web Desk): In winter season, is not an easy task Staying healthy for anyone especially for those who worked for long hours and has least time for self care.
In order to avoid being sick and feeling like you have to go to the doctor to get antibiotics and other drugs, now is the time to be thinking about prevention!
Here are some great tips to strengthen your body’s immune system during the winter season.
1. Drink the optimal amount of water. With the winter season here, it’s more important than ever to consume the right amount of water for your health.
2. Eat a healthy diet. Maintaining a good healthy diet full of fresh fruits and vegetables and minimal amounts of organic meats is another way to keep your body clean and in good working order. Try eating an extra piece of fruit or veggie every day too!
3. Keep stress to a minimum. Studies have linked high stress levels to making a person more susceptible to catching colds and flu. Minimize your stress by working reasonable hours at your job. Aim for at least one night per week to spend with friends and family. If your stress is out of hand and you feel like you need some help, let me know. Frequently, I work with people who have stress or emotional challenges and utilize Bach Flower Remedies to bring their emotional health back into balance.
4. Do your homework to find the best supplement for your health. Even if you eat “perfectly” all the time with loads of fresh fruits and vegetables, you still need to boost your nutrition with a supplement. What supplements you will need will depend significantly on your lifestyle. If you’re not sure whether you need them at all, read this post on why we need supplements. Let me help you choose the best supplement program for your lifestyle. Some supplements I recommend taking during the winter season include:
a. Essential Oils. Essential Oils are a must-have to protect yourself and help your immune system. There are a variety of essential oils that have been found to be highly effective against airborne bacteria. They also can do a lot to strengthen your body, boost your immune system and help you to overcome colds and flu.
b. Standard Process Products: There are several products in the Standard Process / Medi-Herb line that I recommend during this time of year. Your unique health situation determines which one would be appropriate for you. Contact me to discuss which product might be best for you.
5. Exercise regularly. It is important to exercise regularly, even if only for 15 minutes a day! Get out and take a short walk and enjoy the cooler weather.
6. Wash your hands regularly. Keep the bacteria and viruses off your hands and out of your mouth and eyes. Keep a bottle of hand sanitizer close-by for those instances where you can’t get to soap and water.
7. Get the right amount of sleep every night. The average person needs 6-8 hours of sleep per night. If you’re not getting enough sleep, your body is extremely vulnerable to illness. Sleep is very much like fuel that recharges your batteries! You’ve got to do it to keep the machine running.
8. Don’t smoke. Most of you already know this, but it bears repeating because smoking significantly weakens your immune system. If you want to quit and have tried everything else, let me know. I have some nutritional recommendations that can help you quit!
9. Eliminate all forms of sugar. This includes not only the obvious kinds (cake, cookies and sweets, in general), but bread, pasta, rice, yogurt and commercial, store-bought fruit juices. Although all of these things are made with different types of sugars, your body still converts them to sugar, which will compromise your immune system.
10. Despite your best efforts, you still can feel like you’re “coming down with something.” Some things you can do to help your body recover more quickly:
o Eliminate all dairy products.
o Eliminate all alcohol.
o Eliminate all grains (bread, rice, pasta, etc.).
o Boost your Vitamin C (with bioflavanoids) intake when you initially feel something coming on.
o Boost your intake of Zinc.
o Increase water consumption (even more than normal!).
11. Increase the recommended supplementation above.
12. Get more rest than normal. If you normally get 6 hours of sleep a night, try increasing it to 7 or 8.
13. Add herbs like Echinacea, Goldenseal and Grapefruit Seed Extract to your supplemental regime.
14. Eat less food as this will give your body a much needed rest from digestion and give it a chance to concentrate on fighting off potential invaders.
These are just some of the simple things you can do to strengthen your body’s immune system, so that you can stay healthy and well during the winter season!