Kabul (Web Desk): At least 34 passengers, mainly women and children, were killed and more than 17 were injured when the bus they were travelling in hit a roadside bomb in western Afghanistan early Wednesday, officials said.
The attack, which came one day after the United Nations said civilians are being killed and wounded at a “shocking” level in Afghanistan's war, occurred around 6:00 am (0130 GMT), authorities said.
“A passenger bus travelling on the Kandahar-Herat highway hit a Taliban roadside bomb. So far at least 28 killed, 10 wounded,” said Muhibullah Muhib, the spokesman for Farah province.
All were civilians, mostly women and children, he said. Farooq Barakzai, a spokesman for Farah's governor, confirmed the toll but warned it may rise higher.
There was no immediate confirmation from the Taliban that it was behind the blast.