ATC grants Islamabad police 2-day physical remand of Parvez Elahi

ATC grants Islamabad police 2-day physical remand of Parvez Elahi

Islamabad (Web Desk): An anti-terrorism court (ATC) on Wednesday granted Islamabad police two-day physical remand of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) President and former Punjab chief minister Chaudhry Pervez Elahi in a case related to attack on Islamabad Judicial Complex.

Duty judge Shahrukh Arjumand heard the petition as the ATC judge was on leave.

Earlier the capital police presented the PTI leader before the court at the Federal Judicial Complex (FJC).

Advocate Sardar Abdur Razzaq and defence counsel Ali Bukhari appeared on Elahi’s behalf while Prosecutor Tahir Kazim was also present.

The development comes a day after Elahi was re-arrested hours after the Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Tuesday suspended his detention under Section 3 of the Maintenance of Public Order (MPO) ordinance and directed his release.

In a post shared on social media platform X (formerly Twitter), Islamabad police wrote that Parvez Elahi was arrested by Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) police station in case no: 3/23.

During the hearing today, the police sought 14-day physical remand of the former Punjab chief minister while his lawyers opposed it and urged the court to discharge Elahi from the case.

The defence counsel countered the police's request and termed it "ridiculous". The counsel informed the court that Elahi was acquitted in two cases in Gujranwala but arrested immediately after release.

The lawyer said his client is being subjected to political victimization, he maintained.

The counsel further apprised the court that the former Punjab CM is unwell and is suffering from back problems.

Presenting his argument, the prosecutor said that Elahi was needed by Islamabad police in a case filed in March.

“Evidence needs to be collected. The informant told the plaintiff that Parvez Elahi was involved (in attack on the judicial complex),” the prosecutor said adding that physical remand of the PTI president was necessary.

Elahi's lawyer Ali Bukhari prayed to the court that there was no mention of interrogation in the police's request for physical remand.

“What did the investigating officer do in 24 hours?” the PTI leader's lawyer implored.

“The police have nothing to investigate. The court will have to see if there is really a need for a probe against Parvez Elahi.”

However, the court rejected the lawyer’s plea and handed Elahi over to the police instead on two-day physical remand.

The court directed the police to produce the PTI leader on September 8, 2023.

Meanwhile, Elahi's counsel approached the Islamabad High Court (IHC) against his arrest despite the Lahore High Court's (LHC) orders for his release.

A contempt of court petition was filed against the Islamabad IG and deputy commissioner in this regard.

Elahi's counsel Sardar Abdul Razzaq listed SSP operations, Shalimar Police Station SHO and others as respondents in the plea, which moved the court to initiate contempt of court proceedings against the relevant officers besides issuing directives for departmental action against them.

Meanwhile, the Lahore High Court (LHC) on Wednesday issued a show-cause notice for contempt of court to the Islamabad Chief Commissioner (CC) Mohammad Anwarul Haq while hearing a plea for PTI President Parvez Elahi’s production in court and release.

It comes a day after the LHC had ordered the city's CC and Inspector General (IG) Dr Akbar Nasir Khan, who had already been issued a show-cause notice on Monday, to appear before the court along with Elahi.

On September 1, the PTI leader was arrested again hours after the LHC ordered his immediate release.

The court had ordered the additional registrar of the LHC, DG operations, and other security high-ups to ensure Elahi reaches his residence.

However, Islamabad  police team assisted by Lahore police, intercepted en route and arrest the former Punjab CM near his home.

It is pertinent to mention that the former Punjab CM has been arrested and detained repeatedly since May 9 riots.