Islamabad (Staff Report): Pakistan has decided to send combat troops to protect Saudi Arabia’s southern borders from Houthis’ assault in Yemen, reported Middle East Eye citing senior security sources.
The brigade will be confined to the south of the Saudi Kingdom and will only be deployed on its border, the sources told Middle East Eye. One said “It will not be used beyond Saudi borders”.
The report interpreted, “It is the latest twist in a brutal and devastating two-year war, which has killed more than 10,000 people in Yemen, injured over 40,000 and brought the impoverished nation to the verge of famine”.
Saudi Arabia and its Arab coalition allies launched the war after the Houthis overran the Yemeni capital - Sanaa, and the southern port of Aden and overthrew the Saudi-backed president, Abd Rabbuh Hadi.
— Gen Asim Bajwa (@AsimBajwaISPR) December 18, 2016
In December last year the Pakistani chief of army staff (COAS)General Qamar Javed Bajwa visited Saudi Arabia on a three-day official tour after what the decision of the deployment of the Pakistani brigade on Saudi Arabia border.
In a statement, the Pakistani army said, “COAS reiterated Pakistan’s commitment to the security and protection of the Holy Mosques and also the territorial integrity of the kingdom”.
Afterward, to discuss military to military relations, defence cooperation and regional security situation, General Qamar Javed Bajwa met chief of general staff of Saudi Forces, General Abdul Rehman bin Saleh al-Bunyan.
“Both leaders firmly decided to boost military cooperation and collaboration.”
It is pertinent to mention, two years ago, the parliament rejected a request by Saudi Arabia’s King Salman for Pakistan to join a “Sunni” coalition to fight the Houthis.