Toshakhana case: Islamabad court suspends Imran Khan's arrest warrants

Toshakhana case: Islamabad court suspends Imran Khan's arrest warrants

Islamabad (Web Desk): A District and Sessions Court in Islamabad on Saturday suspended non-bailable arrest warrants for Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman and former premier Imran Khan in Toshakhana case.

Additional District and Sessions Judge (ADSJ) Zafar Iqbal presided over the hearing of the case.

In his remarks the Judge told the parties in the case that arguments will take place during the next hearing.

Subsequently The court adjourned the hearing till March 30 and also ordered Imran Khan to ensure his presence on next hearing.

Earlier, Additional District and Sessions Judge Zafar Iqbal on Saturday allowed Imran Khan to leave after marking his attendance outside the G-11 Judicial Complex amid clashes police and party supporters.

While referring to clashes between PTI workers and police outside the Judicial Complex, the judge remarked that in this situation, the hearing and appearance cannot proceed.

He said that all those who have gathered here should disperse after marking attendance.

The Judge added that once the PTI chief’s signatures were taken, the next date for the hearing could then be decided.

Earlier, PTI workers clashed with police outside Islamabad G-11 Judicial Complex ahead of former premier Imran Khan's appearance before a district and sessions court in the Toshakhana case.

As per reports, the PTI chief's vehicle was stopped merely 100 metres from the gate of the judicial complex as the police blamed party workers for blocking the route while the PTI claimed the law enforcers were restricting Imran's movement.

The venue of the hearing was changed to the G-11 Judicial Complex instead of the F-8 Katcheri due to security concerns raised by the former premier.

Khan scheduled to appear before the court of Additional District and Sessions Judge (ADSJ) Zafar Iqbal to attend proceedings on a complaint filed by the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) for allegedly concealing details of gifts in his assets declarations.

The former premier who left his Lahore residence a little after 8am and had warned in a video message that he was expecting an attempt to arrest him, had yet to reach the court, though the Islamabad Police tweeted that Imran’s convoy was right in front of the Judicial Complex.

In a post on Twitter, Islamabad police wrote that workers are requested to clear the way so that Imran Khan can reach the court.

It also claimed that political activists had “started pelting stones at the police” and “shelling” was also being carried out by them. A police picket was also allegedly set on fire.

In another tweet, the Islamabad police shared images of the purported shelling.

The PTI workers also heavily damaged three police mobiles and targeted law enforcers through slingshots, which forced police to fire teargas.

Meanwhile, Inspector General of Police (IGP) Islanabad Dr Akbar Nasir Khan said the best possible security measures were taken at the Judicial Complex ahead of the appearance of PTI Chairman Imran Khan in the Toshakhana case.

He said that roads were closed at a limited scale so commuters could not face the difficulty.

The IG said that special directives were issued to personnel to ensure security as enemies could exploit such a situation. A total of 4,000 personnel had been deployed to ensure security during the appearance of the PTI chief.