Melbourne, Sydney (Online): A Daesh-inspired Christmas Day terror attack aiming at central Melbourne with explosives has been thwarted after arrests during a series of raids across the city on Friday.
Victoria Police chief commissioner Graham Ashton accused those arrested also planned to use knives and a gun to attack busy locations including Flinders Street train station, Federation Square and St Paul´s Cathedral.
The Police chief commissioner told a news conference, "Over the last fortnight... we have had to conduct a criminal investigation relating to the formation of what we believe was a terrorist plot."
"The attack that we will allege was being planned, we believe was going to involve an explosive event, the use of explosives, and we gathered evidence to support that."
The targets of the alleged attack are all in the heart of the city, occupying three corners of arguably Melbourne´s best-known intersection which is often packed with locals and tourists.
It is only a short distance from the Melbourne Cricket Ground where up to 100,000 people are expected to attend the Boxing Day Test between Australia and Pakistan, and close to the site of the Australian Grand Slam tennis tournament that starts in January.
Five men remain in custody of the seven arrested Friday morning in raids involving 400 heavily armed police, after two were released without charge. All had been under surveillance for weeks.
Ashton said four of them were Australian-born, of Lebanese background, with the fifth an Egyptian-born Australian citizen, all in their 20s.
"Certainly these are self-radicalised, we believe, but inspired by Daesh and Daesh propaganda," he said.
"If this had got under our guard this would have been a significant attack , we believe. No doubt about that."
Ashton said there was no evidence to suggest the Melbourne attackers planned to use a truck or other vehicles.
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said a potential disaster had been averted and praised police and security services.
"This is one of the most substantial terrorist plots that have been disrupted over the last several years," he said in Sydney.
"We are approaching the Christmas season, a time when we come together in peace and love, with our families.
"These terrorists sought to disrupt it. They have been thwarted . They are in custody. They are no longer a threat to Australians´ security."
Twelve terror attacks have now been prevented on home soil in the past two years, according to Australian officials. But four have taken place, including the murder of a Sydney police employee last year.
Counter-terror police have made a large number of arrests since late 2014, with the youth and depth of radicalisation of many of those detained a growing concern.
Earlier this month, the government passed legislation allowing high-risk terror offenders to be kept in jail even after serving their sentences.