Punjab govt rejects Nawaz Sharif’s bail extension request

Punjab govt rejects Nawaz Sharif’s bail extension request

Lahore (Web Desk): The Punjab government on Tuesday rejected the application of former premier Nawaz Sharif for extension in bail on medical grounds.


Addressing a news conference in Lahore alongside provincial health minister Dr Yasmin Rashid and information minister Fayyazul Hassan Chohan, Punjab Law Minister Raja Basharat said that the Pakistan Muslim League- Nawaz (PML-N) supremo has failed to provide the required medical reports.

Basharat said that the extension in bail period cannot be granted on medical and legal grounds. He said that the Punjab cabinet will be forwarded to the federal cabinet.

The minister said since his departure for medical treatment, during the last 16 weeks, Nawaz Sharif did not admitted to any hospital of London.

He said medical board held several meetings and examined the medical reports of Nawaz Sharif which were provided before departure.

Raja Basharat said after rejection of extension, the bail granted to the former Prime Minister will ultimately be cancelled.

Speaking on the occasion, Punjab Health Minister Dr Yasmeen Rashid said the issue of the extension in the bail of Nawaz Sharif will decided by the court.

She added that that Nawaz Sharif failed to produce any medical report to justify his request for extension in bail.

Provincial Minister for Information Fayaz-ul-Hassan Chohan said that the decision of the extension in the bail of Nawaz Sharif cannot be made on its desire.

Reacting to the Punjab government’s decision, PML-N president Shehbaz Sharif termed the move as political revenge.

He added the Punjab government had signed on the documents allowing Nawaz to travel abroad.

"Today the Punjab government on the basis of political revenge, went back on its decision. The Punjab government's assertion that Nawaz's treatment was possible in Pakistan was nothing but a condemnable lie," he said.

Shehbaz further said that they had submitted all the reports on time. “Nawaz Sharif is not being allowed to live. Getting treatment is every person’s basic right and we will not comprise on Nawaz’s health.”

"Nawaz will continue to undergo treatment as per the doctor’s decision," the PML-N leader added.

On November 19, 2019, Nawaz Sharif reached London for medical treatment.

The interior ministry on November 18 gave permission to Nawaz Sharif to travel abroad for medical treatment in accordance with the verdict of the Lahore High Court (LHC), while keeping his name on the Exit Control List (ECL).

The ministry issued a memorandum after receiving the court order.

In its notification, the ministry reproduced the undertakings provided by Shehbaz Sharif and Nawaz to the court in which the terms of their travel and return have been laid out.

On November 16, the LHC allowed Nawaz Sharif to travel abroad for four weeks for medical treatment, saying the duration could be extended upon doctors' recommendation.

On December 23, the former premier sought an extension in his stay abroad on the expiry of the four-week period granted by the LHC.

Following his request, the Punjab government constituted a four-member committee to decide on it and sought fresh medical reports to make an "informed decision".

A picture of Nawaz Sharif at a London restaurant along with some members of his family had surfaced on social media, raising questions about the condition of the former premier's health.

On January 15, the Punjab government had rejected Nawaz's medical reports which had been submitted on December 23.

On January 30, the Punjab government once again asked Nawaz to submit fresh medical reports so that a decision on his request seeking more time abroad could be made.